Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, June 16, 2009

    YouTube

    Is allowing Copyright holders to remove videos that infringe on their rights. For some videos, the audio can be taken down. noticeably, a number of publishers have chosen to instead show a pop-up that allows users to find a webpage where they can but the actual content; instead of taking down the entire video. (I may be wrong in this, I'm using secondary sources.) I think this is great. The publishers show that they are aware of the futility of sticking to the old business model of the RIAA, suing every goddamn child who downloads their music. Instead, this shows that they recognize the ability of sites like YouTube to advertise their content for no cost. In fact, several reports have noticed increased sales in areas with increased rates of copyright-agnostic actions. (damn, I'd wished I'd saved the links to those reports, but just google it.) Apparently the people who post YouTube videoss are the ones who buy the most music.

    No comments: